Thursday, March 11, 2010

Old School Style

Vintage-inspired looks have been making a comeback as of late, which is something I can defiantly get behind. I've always loved older styles, especially the late 50s/early 60s stuff, every since I bought my first high-waisted floral skirt allllll they way back in year 9 of high school. So naturally when I heard about Mad Men, which takes place during that exact era and designers were citing the show as an influence, I had to see it.

I loved it. Even setting the amazing clothes aside, the show itself - the characters, the plot, the dialogue between characters - is absolute perfection. Even the casual sexism of the male characters doesn't bother me too much (it's not like they could take it out of the show), because the show itself isn't sexist. Each episode gives as much time to the lives of Betty, Joan and Peggy as it does to Don, Roger and Pete.

The women of Mad Men (L-R: Betty, Joan and Peggy)

I've only seen the first season so far, but already my love of Betty and Joan knows no bounds (my love of Peggy, not so much, but I hear she gets more awesome next season).

Betty Draper
Betty's Grace-Kelly-esque style is one of my favourite styles in the show. She always looks the part of a perfect 50s housewife, even when (spoiler) daydreaming about the door-to-door salesman or being asked for a lock of hair by a neighbourhood child.

Get Betty's look: (clicking on the pretty pictures takes you to their store)




















































































Joan Holloway
Joan is my favourite character, so I'm probably being a little biased when I tell you that she is awesome. She has curves and is sassy and bitchy and so confident. I know I should like Peggy more because she has aspirations to have a career outside of being a secretary. But I think that's the beauty of Joan's character: she's good at what she does, and she looks the best doing it.

But really, anything that figure-hugging and shows off your curves works wonders if you're going for the Joan look. Bold colours and cuts match Joan's personality because she has a confidence to carry it off - and you guys should too.

Get Joan's look:






No comments:

Post a Comment