Saturday, April 24, 2010

sale report: Irving Baby $2 sale

Although Hindley St has a reputation for being the sleazy street, it actually contains some pretty good stores. One of those stores is a personal favourite of mine Irving Baby. And yesterday, they had a sale at its Hindley St store*. A sale where everything in the store (except for one rack of new stuff) was $2. Not starting at $2. Not some stuff $2 and the rest half price. EVERYTHING was $2.

When I got there (about 15 - 20 minutes early) there was a line from the door, winding its way back around the side street.



My spot in line sucked, but it sucked less than the 20 - 30 people behind me who came later. Everyone there was excited, some had been standing in line for hours**, and everyone was dressed fabulously. Not like, ball gown fabulous, but street-style fabulous (my favourite).

Inside, it was a complete madhouse. There were probably about 200 people in the store, and there was literally no room to move. You had to gently push (or not so gently push) people out of your way to get to the racks, to move forward, to do anything. I scrambled to get to a tartan jacket, but it was gone in the minutes it took me to cross the room. Luckily, one of my friends, who had a better place in line, got it for me! I would have taken photos, but I don't think I would have been able to stand still long enough to get a photo. People were crawling on the floor, because it was an easy way to move along the racks and see if anyone dropped any interesting stuff. Nobody got injured though, and there were no fights (that I saw) over clothes.

I managed to grab:
1. An awesome bikini

2. An amazing asymentrical skirt.

3. Shoooooooeeeeeessss

4. A tartan jacket (the one grabbed by my friend Hannah)

Plus, a fleecy vest, a picture of a cat, two belts, and two skirts that I'm going to shorten (like, a lot).

Hannah and I got out and had a hot chocolate, and then I went back to check it out. The store had pretty much been trashed, and there were still people there looking and people arriving.


Mink Pink top (second hand)
Bebe dress (Gilles Street Market)
Blue suede belt (Nadia's House of Serendipity)
Aldo red shoes (eBay)


Green tassel scarf (Nadia's House of Serendipity)
Electric blue jacket (eBay)

Hopeful bag (Print Liberation)


*they have a store on Twin St (a small side street off Rundle Mall), which is equally fabulous, and always has an amazing sale rack.
**which is what I plan to do next year. I'm getting there like two hours early. If you do plan on going next year, I recommend this.

No comments:

Post a Comment